Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Art of Hotdish

What is a hotdish? According to wikipedia, "a hotdish is any of a variety of baked casserole popular in the Midwestern United States. It consists of a starch, a meat, and a canned vegetable, mixed together with canned soup." It is so common in Minnesota that you can find a "Minnesota: Principal Hot Dish by Region" Dish Towel. (I was very tempted to buy it but I refrained!) Or a cookbook of hotdish recipes. (this I do have! - Thanks Mom :) )

Tonight I made Hamburger Hotdish (I know - what an exciting and original name!). As you can see in the picture below, it consists of hamburger, rice, cream of mushroom soup and is topped with mozzarella cheese.


We all find it very yummy. Even Blake! It's especially yummy on a cold day (which we had here - with thunderstorms!)

I am so glad that my love of hotdishes is being passed on to my child...he would be missing out on so much if he never enjoyed a hamburger or tuna hotdish!

No comments: