Monday, August 9, 2010

Weekend Fun! Camping at Lake MacBride

This past weekend we went camping at Lake MacBride (which is about 2 hrs East of here - close to Cedar Rapids & Iowa City). I've been wanting to go camping since the summer started and we finally had the opportunity! Lake MacBride was recommended by my cousin Jane - and I am really glad we decided to go there! We had a blast!

We didn't leave home until after 5 on Friday since Kevin worked all day. By the time we arrived at the modern campground at Lake MacBride - it was already full. Kevin was a bit upset with me for not reserving a site but I thought we would be fine since there were about 20 non-reservable sites. But thankfully there were a bunch of sites available at the primitive campground. (we had to use pit potty's - yuck!). We picked up dinner at Subway so once we finally got the tent set up we sat down and ate. Then we had some yummy smores for dessert!


The next day we started out with a fun walk along the lake.


I love this shot of Blake and Kevin! (even if Blake isn't looking at the camera)


We saw a TON of butterflies all weekend.


After our walk it stormed for a few hours. We hung out in the tent playing cards, coloring and playing with stickers. Once it finally stopped raining, we went out for lunch and then headed to the trail head for the Lake MacBride Bike Trail. I was able to capture some beautiful pictures of the lake while we rode.


Blake fell asleep - doesn't he look just uncomfortable?!


A cute pic of Blake and I with my bike and Blake's ride. - this was taken after our 10+ mile bike ride. We were so sticky and gross!


Family shot!


Once we got back to the car, we changed into our swimsuits and headed over to the beach. We had so much fun swimming and building sandcastles! And it was extremely refreshing!


Then we headed back to the camp site for a yummy pudgy pie dinner of pizza with some more smores for dessert.


After dinner we went on another walk along the lake looking for sticks. It was quite beautiful with the sunset!


Yes - we came home with a ton of bug bites (me especially) and we didn't get the best night's of sleep. But it was a fun family weekend! I can't wait until next summer and more camping trips!

No comments: